prof.dr. J.C. Terlouw
Jan Terlouw is a famous Dutch politician and childrens book writer. He has been minister of economic affairs and he has won the "gouden griffel" twice. Still he sees physics as the "mother of all science".
Terlouw was member of the board of A-E in 1951. In this board he was chairman, and he regrets never being a chairman of the board of S2.
prof.dr. G. 't Hooft
Gerard 't Hooft is professor in theoretical physics at Utrecht University. Among the numerous scientific awards the Nobel prize in physics stands out.
't Hooft has been chairman of S2 in 1969 and he was active in the fusion, marking the beginning of A-Eskwdaraat. His initial doubts about a fusion were quickly exchanged for great enthousiasm. He also was the founder of the predecessor of the "vakidioot", called the "WisFysVaria".
prof.dr. J.J. Duistermaat
Hans Duistermaat was the youngest honorary member since the 9th of September 2008. He was professor of mathematics since 1974 at Utrecht University. He has over 50 publications in mathematics, is frequently cited and has won numerous awards.
Next to his fenomal research accomplishments he was an enthousiastic teacher. Numerous generations of A-Eskwadraat members have enjoyed his courses greatly. Duistermaat also invested many hours in A-Eskwadraat activities, making them a great succes!
To our great sadness prof. dr. J.J. Duistermaat passed away on March 19th 2010.
Members of Merit
The following people are awarded the title Member of Merit for their great accomplishments for the association:
- Thijs Kinkhorst
Although he was never part of the board, Thijs Kinkhorst has been extraordinarily active member within our association. Apart from a large number of committees, among which seven years of Web committee (in which he performed a lot work on the book administration system), he in cooperation with others was responsible for getting the internation programming contest NWERC to Utrecht in 2007 and 2008. He was also part of the organizing committees for these events, which spoke to the imagination, Thijs played a central role. Amongst others because of these merits the general assembly decided on May 19th, 2009 to support the suggestion of "Spreekt Voor Zich", to make Thijs a member of merit. This makes Thijs the only member of merit to get a second extraordinary mention together with commemorative medal for his work. The motto on his commemorative medal is "De beste (be)stuur(s)lui staan aan wal."
- Jacob Kleerekoper
On May 19th, 2009 Jacob Kleerekoper was made a member of merit, following the suggestion of the board "Spreekt voor Zich:. At the moment he had just left his last committee after almost ten (!) years of being an active member. For more than eight years he was part op Sysop and the Web committee, keeping the computers and website in top shape and adding ever more functionality. Apart from this he has been part many committees and he was a member of the board in 2001-2002. This very extraordinary active member got as motto on his commemorative medal "Het (wijs)neusje van de zalm".
During the general assembly on September 10th, 2009 Jacob received his commemorative member.
- Frank van Lankvelt
- On the 13th of december 2005, 6 years after his graduation, Frank van Lankvelt was appointed Member of Merit of A-Eskwadraat. The 60th board wanted to thank him for his great investment in the association. Especially grateful we are for the role he played in the founding of the "Who's Who", the member database of A-Eskwadraat. Until today the system is used to storage and process information about members, comittees, societies and groups.
Frank recieved his Member of Merit medal during the opening night of the 7th lustrum, the 6th of februari 2007. The medal caried the inscription "Who's frnk", refering to his nickname "frnk"
- Roelof Ruules
- Roelof Ruules was appointed to be Member of Merit during the general assembly of A-Eskwadraat on the 21th of februari 1997. Frank van Lankvelt was the founder of the idea appointing Roelof the title Member of Merit, not knowing he would receive the same honor in 2005.
Roelof Ruules (born 28th of may 1964) stated his studies in physics in 1986 at the Utrecht University. During his studies, and in the period following these he organised many of the A-Eskwadraat activities, e.g. the introduction, symposium, founding of the BBCie, and he was member of the board 1989-1990.
- Liesbeth Scheffer
- Liesbeth Scheffer was appointed Member of Merit during the general assembly of 14 june 1995.
- Erik Heijne
- Erik Heijne was appointed Member of Merit during the general assembly of 14 june 1995.
- Reinier Balkema
- Reinier Balkema was the first member of merit of A-Eskwadraat. He was appointed during the general assembly of the 12th of June 1992. The chairwoman at that time, Saskia Maassen, described Reinier as " A member you can't find in 10 years". He was never a member of the board, but he organised and participated in more activities then many members of the board.
Reinier, born on the 17th of october 1965, stated his studies in Mathematics in 1985. He switched to a study in Physics and Astronomy in 1986, which he finished in 1993.